This week marks the second anniversary of OMGWebsite and as such seemed like a great week to make a come back. I’ve been on a bit of a hiatus for a couple of months (did you notice?) the cause of which I’m not sure of. It could have been the cold of winter causing my enthusiasm to freeze or maybe the relative position of the planets and the stars had a deep significantance or meaning that exclusively applied to only me. That or it was my jobs depressing rotating schedule that causes me never to see the light of day for months at a time during the winter. Whatever the case may be, I accomplished very little during this off time and felt very much like the laziest person on earth.
That said, I did accomplish something. Or a series of somethings actually. First off, the theme has changed. While it carries a remarkable similarity to the themes in the past I think the changes reflect a more simplistic or open layout and maybe even a bit more of a professional look, less like a personal website. Some of the biggest changes were the removal of two items, both the sidebar and the footer. The sidebar I felt had just been cluttering up pages for months but the task of removing it was no small feat which I’ll get to later. The footer I felt was rarely seen and contained items that really didn’t need to be on every page of the site. The removal of these two items of course means there’s no place for a ‘blogroll’ or recent comments. At some point in the future I might consider using a page to link to sites I find interesting but the recent comments likely wont return. Reason being, visitors are offered the option to subscribe to comments on each post which made the sidebar widget feel a bit redundant.
The biggest change with the redesign however was a consequence of a choice above, the removal of the sidebar. By removing the sidebar this meant every post written with it in mind would now be improperly formatted and nearly incomprehensible. Part of this was due to my lack of planning in the past but the majority was just poor formatting decisions to hack together posts as quickly as possible. To fix this I went back through each and every post from the past and brought them up to my current standards, or as current as I felt needed. Some could use a bit more work still but overall I feel the site’s much more consistent throughout. I’ve spot tested various parts of the site in Internet Explorer 8, Firefox 3, Safari 5, Chrome 9 and Opera 11. Things do render slightly differently in each but hopefully I’ve managed to get something mostly consistent throughout.
The final change is a big change and something I wanted to do even before starting the site. While I liked the domain “OMGWebsite.com” it was not my original choice for the site, I wanted to use Tailgrab.org. However, due to choices in the past I’d already allocated Tailgrab for another project and used the remaining domain instead. I suppose I could have subdomained but I don’t even like having the acronym ‘www’ there let alone entire names or words. So two years down the road I finally decided to make the leap to the new domain. The leap however is not without it’s issues. One of course wants to maintain their readership (whatever they might have left after a 4 month hiatus), they also need to maintain links from the old domain and redirect them to the proper posts at the new domain, and perhaps more importantly provide those redirects properly so that one maintains their Google rank. Having never done this before, I’m expecting it not to go as smoothly as I’d like, that said I’ve read and followed all the guidelines that I think I need to and hope all goes to plan.
The only thing remaining on the todo list is find a way to fit a tail into that logo, it’s not very befitting of the site yet.