Spice & Wolf (Manga) Volume 2

Last week I received a pleasant surprise in my inbox, an email from Amazon telling me my order had been shipped. It’d been a long time since I placed an order with Amazon so I couldn’t remember just what it was and as it would turn out, it’s Spice & Wolf (Manga) Volume 2!

Not much has changed between Volume 1 and 2 in terms of quality. The page texture remains the same, the off centered text on text bubbles nearing the edges of the page and of course the size of the book remains the same. One difference I noticed though was the cover, and I don’t mean the picture that much was obvious. On Volume 2 the cover has a more coarse texture, it feels as though I can almost detect the thickness of the ink in places as well. Volume 1 had a very smooth cover without any of this texture. Not sure how this effects quality but I noticed it immediately upon picking the book up.

Another difference is that this volume has no colour pages, which is how the original is but still feels worth a mention. It would be nice to have more coloured Horo but if the artist, Koume Keito (小梅けいと), never did so, it’s kind of hard to blame Yen Press for it.

I enjoy the cover on Volume 2 a lot more than Volume 1, Horo appears more mature and half dressed is nice too. Instead of an apple in her hand she has some form of alcohol and is in the process of getting drunk with Lawrence. Good times.

1. Quazacolt says:

The japanese ver is better, with a dust cover, and better sized, not to mention better quality paper. and most importantly, does not have the stupid parental advisory warning rofl.

and yes, i do have them out of retardedness. not to mention, they were cheaper than the US license anyways. the only one problem that it will always have – moonrunes lol

randomly flip through dialogs to guess kanjis, feels bad man.

Maybe after I’ve learned Japanese I’ll consider getting originals. But right now it seems rather pointless, then again I’ve bought some pretty pointless things in the past… maybe I should.

Can’t wait to get mine… hopefully it’ll be coming soon!

Yeah, it would be nice to have the dust jackets that the originals had, but well at least Yen is still making them.

Agree about the “WARNING”… it totally kills the cover!

**** Mine came while I was taking a nap before I go to work tonight.

You are sooooo right about the texture… weird.

I don’t know how I feel about it… no pun intended. I guess it all depends on the original Japanese version. As long as it follows suit, I have no problem.

However, it is does provide an extra element of depth.

3. Tier says:

Man, they’re putting warning labels on comics these days. I guess Horo’s got street cred now.

That’s some tiny text in the speech bubble up there. And yes, I do realize that with a picture like that, maybe I shouldn’t be paying as much attention to what she’s saying as to how she looks.

Standing naked in a field and sipping on a brew, Horo looks like a girl who knows how to have a good time.

It’s a warning for nudity.

If you click the top picture it gets bigger. My newer posts tend to have this feature as the I produce the title images in higher resolutions than the past. So if you click you may be able to read it better, but that really wasn’t the intent anyway. I tried to pick stuff that wasn’t spoiler-ish but attractive.

Now you see some of why I like Horo, yes?

• Tier says:

I should have said that that’s some tiny text surrounded by a ton of white space in the speech bubble. I wonder why the localization team left so much blank room when they could’ve scaled up the text to make it easier to read.

I do indeed, although I was reading this one doujinshi featuring the main characters and while I’m not sure it portrayed them in an accurate manner, I do see some of her appeal.

Which doujin was this?

Ah that’s what you meant, well I imagine it’s to keep the text size consistent throughout the book. As in some places there’s limited space with the translation taking up more of the bubble than it’s original Japanese.

• Tier says:

It was this one (NSFW, though I’m sure that doesn’t need to be said). It’s a fun, happy book, and there’s an English-translated version floating around on the internet tubes.

Ahh I know of that one. I believe I like the end of that one, but I’m not really a fan of big breasted Horo.

I’ve gotten a little ways in. The only major thing I do not like so far is a drunken, GASSY Holo.

Drunken Holo is okay, but I can do without the other. Poor Holo… suffering such an embarrassment!

5. That1Gai says:

That’s interesting about the cover texture. I got my copy of that some time ago and didn’t notice that it had that same texture you were talking about until now.

And with my birthday coming up in a month, I’ll be looking for the third manga as well as the thrid novel since nobody in my family could find them for Christmas.

PS. Since I have the original japanese versions of this manga, I can let you guys in on what this third one goes over in the story.

I received the 3rd light novel as well as 3rd manga. Not sure if I posted about them, likely not as I’ve been pretty lazy. The 3rd manga’s cover doesn’t suffer from the texturing issue experienced with the 2nd.