I’m in Print!

Back in April Dániel Kodaj, the chief editor of the Hungarian anime magazine MONDO approached me via email requesting the use of some pictures from my Nankyoko Sakura review for publication in their own review in the magazine. Understanding that I had a Creative Commons license that specified no commercial use without the authors explicit consent we negotiated a simple deal that we both thought was fair. MONDO could use my pictures so long as they followed the spirit of the Creative Commons license, that is to say they attributed the pictures back to yours truly. That and a free copy of the magazine I was published in of course. Maybe I’m old in this new media world, but I think it’s cool to be in print. It’s so easy to publish something on the Internet and tell your friends, but to be in print is so much more physical, and not the same as printing off an online article.

The magazine was a May release so I’m a bit late to the party. I considered posting earlier as I’ve had a PDF version of the article my pictures are published in long before release, however the physical copy of the magazine only reached me today. Being the overly skeptical person I often can be with situations like this, I wasn’t even sure I’d actually gotten published. Perhaps it was a joke, I can’t read the Hungarian anyway so maybe it was gibberish in the PDF. And so I waited until a physical copy arrived at my door to confirm that yes, in fact my pictures are in a magazine. How neat is that? Even if it is a small foreign magazine, it certainly feels good anyway.

Cover of their May ’10 Issue

I wonder how well Google Translation works with Hungarian to English? I guess there’s only one way to find out….

Comments

What the…Chorno Crusade…Escaflowne?!? Anime magazines in general?!? Feel like I just stepped into a time machine…

Grats on that though eh!

I know what you mean, but there is modern stuff within! Like Durarara, the guy stealing bleach artwork for his comic, Gurren Lagann and Sayounara Zetsubo Sensei.

2. Miette-chan says:

This is pretty cool, and I’m surprised the chief editor contacted you. Specially when I heard stories of others discovering their pictures were used in printed media.I like your deal, I would probably have chosen the same and ask for a copy of the magazine.

I was pretty happy that he did that and told him so in our email exchange, I felt it was pretty stand up and the right thing to do. I’m never really worried to find my pictures used elsewhere, I might get worked up but they are feely available on the Internet unwatermarked so I can only expect someone to ignore my CC license eventually. Then there’s also the case that even if they do violate it, will I ever know? It’s quite possible I wont. It’s not like I search eBay for listings of products I already own, and I can’t take pictures of figures I don’t own yet. If Dániel hadn’t asked I doubt I would have ever found out they appeared in a Hungarian magazine, I’m halfway around the world, don’t speak Hungarian and don’t buy anime magazines.

Anyway, it seemed like a reasonable deal to me, I’m not out to make money with the hobby. I suppose if I can all the better, but as it stands now I’m quite content with sharing.

3. Laura says:

Seeing Escaflowne mentioned on the cover made me very nostalgic. 🙂

About half the contents of the magazine made me feel nostalgic, even the stuff from May ’10 lol.

Wow man! Congratu-freakin’-lations! That is down-right awesome!

You gotta get me an autographed copy sometime down the road!

Well done, keep up the good work and maybe this’ll turn into a regular thing with you being featured in other magazines!

lol autographed, it’s not like I’m becoming famous. Even so the pictures are only attributed to the website’s URL and not my name or alias.

Would be neat if it did turn into something more regular but I definitely don’t expect it. It was a neat treat and I appreciate the gesture.

5. Orni says:

Great ! Congratulations !! :))

6. Nopy says:

Congrats on getting in a magazine, it’s always nice to be recognized by others.

Thanks! Yes it is. It’s always nice when someone comments on a post of mine, emails me, tweets me about something I’ve done. All of it is nice, I wish it happened more haha.

N-IF-TY! Have you noticed a rise of traffic from Hungary in the past couple of months?

Nah it’s stayed pretty consistant for the past year according to Google Analytics. That constant being not very many at all. Now if I go straight percentages, in the month of May I received a decline of 66% from April of visitors coming from Hungary. In June I received a 62% rise over May, however still 45% lower than April.

So it would seem that in getting in this magazine I’ve actually lost Hungarian visitors. However the reality is, there’s so few that those percentages above are fairly meaningless. The sample is far too small.

8. Tier says:

Haha, that’s awesome. But what’s even more awesome are the photos they picked: there’s a close-up of a thigh, a butt shot, a close-up of her boobs, then the only full-body shot which nonetheless is all hair, and then a shot that gets right up into her backside. This guy has good taste.

There’s another full body shot caught in the reflection above the breast shot. But I agree, I like their choices. It makes me wonder what was written, if the pictures relate to specifics in the article or just chosen for aesthetic purposes. I should run the article through Google Translate at some point.

I should have posted some English excerpts now that I think of it. Oh well.

9. Fabrice says:

Wow congratz to get in the front cover =)
    I should ask my friend to translate, anyway i agree with you as well about the importance in being in a print =)
    actually i find it even better!

10. VF says:

That’s pretty sweet – congrats!! =D

11. Leonia says:

Ooh ! Good ! I am really happy for you ^^ Congratulations !

That’s great! I’ve always admired your photography skills!