On Order: Good Smile Company Black Rock Shooter (Anime Ver.)

Unlike my previous order Black★Rock Shooter (Anime Ver.) is a long anticipated release from Good Smile Company, with previews dating as far back as January at GSC x COSPA x Bushi Road New Year Party, perhaps further back but that’s as far as I can remember.

Good Smile Company is at the head of this band wagon, releasing Black★Rock Shooter figure after figure. First we had the original Black★Rock Shooter figure which was hugely popular and which I received 404 days after pre-ordering. Then Good Smile Company released an alternate version of the original, the Black Blade Ver, which seemed like and was a cheaper version of the same figure. While still well executed, lacking the jacket she was wearing in the original, it made her look much smaller and showcased her too flat chest all too well. In my opinion, no where near as nice as the original, and so I largely ignored this variant.

Next, there was a Black★Rock Shooter anime announced, and along with this came even more Black★Rock Shooter figures, adding in an Anime Ver. variant as well as 2 more figures of another character in the series, Dead Master, both an AnimeVer. and an Original. I think it’s a few too many figures for one series from one company, but they all do look quite nice. I like the action pose of this variant over the one in my possession currently, however she doesn’t seem as elegant as the original which is a bit strange, as I don’t necessarily feel the original was elegant per se. I’m quite happy how Good Smile Company has chosen to mount her with multiple mount points which should reduce any possibility of lean.

Black★Rock Shooter (Anime Ver.) is scheduled for release in October of this year, which I don’t expect to be fulfilled at all, given my past experiences with Good Smile Company as of late. Perhaps early 2011 we’ll see this figure, who knows. She’s in the usual 1/8th scale form factor and with her leaning pose and slightly raised base is supposedly around 20 cm tall, though most of that height appears to be her massive gun. Matching their rather high price points of the past, Good Smile Company has given her an MSRP of ¥9,800 / $115 CAD which is a little high given their little quality mishaps and whatnot. But with the discounts of retailers, she’s not too badly priced.

I hope they have an accessory that gives her slightly larger breasts, you know, ones that actually exist…

1. Fabrice says:

Im so screwed lol help D:
    so many figures suddenly coming out, i cant keep up Kuso! >.<
    I prefer this one then the older one, pose in my opinion is better ^^
    haha but isnt BRS flat chested anyways? XD

• sho says:

I’m in the same boat as you. I feel like I really want this figure, but I don’t/can’t since it’s not like I’m a fan of the series or anything, but that figure is so beautiful. I need to save my money though 🙁

Also, there’s nothing wrong with flat chests, her behind is quite fine!

She totally is flat chested, but she seems to take it to the extreme. She’s flat chested in much the same way my desk is, non-existent breasts. I’m quite accepting of flat chest, and quite prefer it, but I also prefer there to actually be breasts and not look like a boy.

This week definitely turned out to be an expensive one, though at least they’re all spread out with their release dates, or at least, planned release dates. I’ll be mugging someone if they all release the same month.

• sho says:

lol, yeah that’s the way to go, get tons of pre-releases… I get paid in a few days so I’ll probably add a couple more figures to my pre-order list 🙂

2. soulstaker says:

Already ordered mine too.

IMHO, this is the best BRS so far. Want that Deadmaster, but with the exclusive Taiga my budget for november is already compromised. Meh =

Don’t you just hate limited resources? it ruins all the fun!

Why does Taiga keep getting the limited release treatment? I bought the first adorable little Taiga limited release, but I don’t feel the need to do it again. It’s just too expensive for what I received given I don’t have the attachment to the character I do a certain other.

Which Dead Master figure do you prefer?

• soulstaker says:

If i’m to choose only one, i guess i’ll get Original.

Anime ver. sure is awesome, but she’ll be TOO big (which means a huge ems fee and taxes at brazilian customs).

And yeah, limited resources are killing me. And now i got myself a Nikon D3000… another expensive hobby is starting to arise.

Ah, I hate taxes, I just had a shipment ship via EMS, it’s going to be huge, the shipping was $54 CAD itself, the tax is probably going to suck as well.

D3000, nice!

3. Rico-sama says:

I want this one badly but I’m on the fence about her. I know how I am and I know if I buy this one then I’ll just *have* to buy the Anime Ver. to Dead Master as well. Those two plus the “original” Dead Master make for a lot of $100+ figures.

I can’t decide. T.T

4. […] going to be able to say anything about BRS Anime Ver. that I haven’t said before and that other’s also haven’t said.  She’s got a great pose, great coloring, great energy, and […]

5. Tier says:

I’m undecided about this one. If I didn’t have the first figure, I’d probably pick this one up for sure, but I don’t know that I like the character enough to double dip. Maybe if I hock the first one on eBay, I’ll have a better rationale for getting this version.

Rational thinking doesn’t work with hobbies and collecting. If you use rational thinking, you’d just end up selling your entire collection on eBay.

I completely agree on the boobs (or lack thereof)! As a female I find that level of flatness disturbing. I had considered the first BRS because the pose really is lovely, but I never even humored the idea of getting the 2nd one for the reasons you listed. AND NOW I’m glad I waited! This action BRS is exactly the BRS for me! Sure she still doesn’t have much in the boobage department but because of that awesome leaning over action pose I don’t care at all.

Action pose definitely does it. I’m still hoping for an easy mod to add even A-cup breasts to her lol.

7. […] She was new and interesting when the first figure came out, and the excitement carried to the anime version (which I also pre-ordered) and some of the garage kits that followed, but it’s been well over […]

8. Wasn’t planning on getting this one since I have the original version already. But the more I look at her pictures the more this figure is growing on me. =(