On Order: Alter Shikinami Asuka Langley

This figure came right out of left field, I don’t think anyone saw her coming. Two years after the release of their Ayanami Rei and just in time for the release of Rebuild of Evangelion: 2.22 You Can (Not) Advance, Alter’s decided it’s time for an additional member to their small one character cast of 1/8th scale Evangelion figures, Shikinami Asuka Langley donning her splendid Test Type plugsuit.

Only noticing this figure even existed due to a post on The Banzai! Effect I immediately consulted Twitter as to the proper course of action. Buy or not to buy. Most everyone who messaged said that she was a must buy, and rightly so. I was only use them as a scapegoat anyway, so that later on I would be able to blame others for my empty wallet.

Like everyone, I’m not sure why they decided to change Asuka’s plugsuit, I suppose the obvious answer might be sex appeal, I mean just look at how low cut it is around that pleasant bum of hers. However, it’s not like the original plugsuit hid anything either, her bum was easily visible through the ultratight latex-like clothing. I think perhaps this plugsuit goes a little too extreme, the original seemed tight and sexy, but still sleek and with the illusion that perhaps it was functional in some way. The new is a little over the top and perhaps a little backwards. I could see this prototype suit as being the original, and the other as being the new, but this reversed order seems off. All said though, it’s not like I’m really complaining, I’m quite happy to see Asuka in a translucent ultratight contour matching megathin pair of futuristic no-so-coveralls.

Asuka is planned to be released in October of this year, 2 years after their Rei figure. She will be 1/8th scale and measure in around 23.5 cm tall, though I’m unsure if that includes the metal stand part of her base or not. She has quite the reasonable MSRP given the relative market at the moment, ¥7,800 / $92 CAD. It’s unfortunate that the Canadian Dollar isn’t doing so well against the Japanese Yen but that’s the price one has to pay I suppose on the International money exchange markets. Asuka is sculped by Yagyu Toshiyuki instead of Numakura Toshiaki, the sculptor of their Rei. Other works by Yagyu include Chua Churam, Clalaclan Philias, KOS-MOS Ver.4, Lala Satalin Deviluke, Saber Lily and Senhime, all quite splendid works making for quite a good portfolio.

I was just starting to think not much had been released recently…

Comments

1. […] Shooter (Anime Ver.) Cufon.refresh(); May 27, 2010  |  Blog, Figures On OrderUnlike my previous order Black★Rock Shooter (Anime Ver.) is a long anticipated release from Good Smile Company, with […]

2. Fabrice says:

Man finally after 2 long years =/
    even tought i dont have rei, nor i can afford asuka as well DX

i guess ill have to wait for the figmas =/

Would Asuka and Rei really work as figmas? I suppose they’ve worked as everything already… but for some reason I just can’t seem to associate them in my head with figmas. Action figures sure, but figmas seem to have different proportions.

3. […] priced than she should be given GSC’s slight lack in quality compared to Alter, who’s Asuka figure shares a similar MSRP. 1/8th scale and measuring 20 cm tall she’s an average height figure […]

4. soulstaker says:

Will have to pass this. Koto 1/6 Asuka looks the one to be in my collection, so i need to save the money.

And i don’t really like this base.

I’ll likely be getting the Koto one as well to finish off that collection. They haven’t taken any pictures with her and her base yet have they? She seems to stand alone without one, strange compared to the other 3.

You don’t like the base? I’m sort of surprised, I thought it was quite a nice base. Standing out as something a little different from the norm, especially from Alter.

5. Rico-sama says:

I was so happy to see this one. I bought her as soon as I saw people chatting about her in Twitter.

A totally dark horse figure, you’re right, but an absolutely fantastic one.

More companies need to do it that way I think, though I can see the problems in doing so. But it was such a nice surprise, something I haven’t gotten from the figure scene in a while. Mostly everything is anticipated these days due to all the pre-production shots and hints.

6. radiant says:

… something tells me that I should order this… if not for weeaboo factor… she’d probably fetch a pretty coin on ebay…
    Also, considering the number of figures I own from this sculptor, I’d have to say that unbeknownst to me, I am a fan. O_o

Please don’t do it just for the resale… though it’s always tempting. I always feel like I should buy 3 of each figure and sell 2.

I don’t own the Rei but I’m going for this Asuka. I’d like to own the Alter Rei at some point though if I can get her for retail.

Alter Rei is quite splendid. Mine has been dropped thanks to animals and my carelessness in where I’d placed her for a very short period. She’s mostly fine, but she has a mark on her bum where the paint seems to have either rubbed off or smudged together.

8. Adam says:

The new Asuka was definitely a pleasant surprise from Alter. Ordinarily, I would pick her up in a heartbeat, but my figure budget is all but blown for the rest of the year, so it doesn’t look like that’ll be happening.

I actually prefer the new test suit over the original plug suit. The original wasn’t bad, but the new design does have a bit more sex appeal and dialing the red back a tad doesn’t hurt either.

That’s too bad! She really looks to be one of the better Asukas and is likely to be expensive in the future after release.

I liked the firey red of her plugsuit, and as odd as it is to say now, how reserved it was. Originally it was rather revealing being so tight but now that the test-plugsuit is out it seems ever so reserved. I think I prefer that reserved sexy look, because she’s still smokin’ hot, sometimes revealing too much ends up a bad thing and comes off with the wrong flavour than intended. Though this is obviously intended to be sexy, I think it might come off as a bit floozy. Which while isn’t necessarily a bad thing, does change ones view of her character if they don’t know her already.