Recent Purchases, April 2nd 2010 Edition

Picked up a few DVDs this week from and let me tell you, Amazon is fast! I mean, 2-3 days shipping is quick, but shipping back in time? Yeah, Amazon did it! Kanon arrived Monday, the shipping notice was sent Tuesday! The other two DVDs, Baccano! and Evangelion arrived far slower at 3 days after their shipping notification, how inconsistent.

Kanon is one of those series I told myself I’d purchase after watching the fansubs. However having other priorities at the time the series went unpurchased and remained on the wishlist for quite some time. Nearly forgetting about the series 2-3 years after it’s release and looking for 5 Centimeters Per Second on Amazon I was reminded of it and decided to see how much it would set me back and if I should include it with my current order. As it would turn out Funimation who acquired the rights after ADV Films sold off many of their assets was re-releasing Kanon in their new “S.A.V.E.” series. S.A.V.E. stands for “Super Amazing Value Edition” and I have to agree with this outrageous name. Funimation says the aim of this series is to offer “hidden gems” at a <$30 USD price point. With this price point I had pretty much no excuse not to buy, especially given the price was yet lower at $24.49 CDN.

Oddly though the plastic on the cover seems to have warped a bit and is wrinkled all over the place. Not a huge issue as I don’t much care about the cover, but it does look a little strange at first. It’s rather nice having an entire series in the space of a single DVD case, it doesn’t look as impressive on the shelf, but it takes up so much less space.

More info: Wikipedia (Possible Spoilers)

Baccano! is a series I only just recently watched after seeing episode 10 of Durarara!! a series which happens to be by the same author. A friend recommended I watch the series a while ago, but when episode 10 of Durarara!! came around he insisted I watch it before hand. The series starts out rather confusingly jumping around in time and introducing many characters, however after a few episodes it’s much easier to wrap your head around and enjoy the story. And enjoy the story I did, while I didn’t marathon the entire series, I watched it over a few sittings and found it hard to peel myself away and sleep. After finishing the 13 episodes run on TV and 3 DVD only episodes I felt fairly compelled to purchase the series, but after seeing Kanon for $24.49 CDN I was reluctant to purchase at the slightly higher price of $43 CDN. Realizing the stupidity in my reluctance when purchasing Rebuild of Evangelion: You Are (Not) Alone 1.11 for $29 CDN, containing far less overall enjoyment than Baccano! I decided to include it in the order as well.

The DVDs contain some extras such as a promotional video (commercial?), Baccano! Propaganda Program, Textless Songs & Trailers, but most interesting for me is the episode commentaries. I don’t think it’s often that an anime gets commentary tracks, so I’m interested to see what lies within those.

There’s a funny quote about the series on the back from Bamboo Dong from, “Nothing makes the Great Depression SEXIER than alchemy battles and good-looking mafia hitmen”. I think had I read that in a store I would have bought this series based off that alone.

Isaac-uuuu~! Miria~!

More info: Wikipedia (Possible Spoilers)

Rebuild of Evangelion 1.11: You Are (Not) Alone

Unlike Rebuild of Evangelion 2.0: You Can (Not) Advance, I missed out on seeing this in theatre at the Waterloo Festival for Animated Cinema back in 2008, but I had of course watched the fansubbed copy prior to 2.0 at WFAC2k9. Surely everyone who cares already knows the premise of the series so I wont bother with that. But I will say they didn’t change a huge amount in this movie, unlike 2.0 where things end up vastly different at the end.  It’s a very good remake though, and maybe Shinji is less of a whiner? And Gendou more of a prick? Regardless it was definitely worth the purchase and I look forward to seeing it again.

I should note, the cover doesn’t quite look like this, it’s rather reflective and breaks the white light out into a rainbow. Using this effect I adjusted my lights so that it would look as though there was an explosion in the distance due to Shinji firing his weapon. I thought it was a neat effect, even if a little misleading.

More info: Wikipedia (Possible Spoilers)

1. Fabrice says:

Nice me too i have the Kanon and Baccano but not in box set. have it 6 vols for kanon and 4 for baccano.

Evangelion…i need to get that D:

Nice add in to your collection =D

Baccano! is my new ‘favourite’ anime, not really but it’s what I talk about most frequently as it’s fresh in my mind. It was great.

Evangelion is quite good too you should pick it up.

I’ve been contemplating on getting Rebuild for a long time now. Back when I first watched the movie, I was convinced that I MUST have a hard copy of it, despite how little I revisit stuff I’ve already seen. However, now that I’ve seen Studio Khara’s tendency to throw in extras with every subsequent release, I’m now more inclined to wait for a definitive box-set of all four movies years down the line to ensure I don’t miss out on anything.

Then again, maybe I’ll reconsider if I see a good price for it at Anime North this year.

I don’t really care, I don’t know what they’ll add but one copy is enough, anything else I can find via other means.

I decided I was going to wait for LOTR to have a definitive set, but the Hobbit doesn’t seem like it’s going to be made at this rate. So I should have just bought the Extended Editions and been done with it.

3. Miette-chan says:

I got Funimation’s first Kanon box set, can’t bring myself to watch it through again. I was really depressed with Makoto’s arc and onward when I first watched it.

Must get around to watch Baccano, my friend was telling to watch it just the other day.

I honestly did not enjoy watching Evangelion and it’s ending movies, but if these remakes make Shinji less whiny and have a more sensible ending, I might give them a go.

Key likes to make those depressing stories don’t they. I too was quite sad after Makoto’s arc, but it was still a good anime I think. Really anything that envokes a real emotion I think is quite good.

Baccano! is excellent, I don’t know how I’d never watched it before.

No idea if there’s going to be a more sensible ending, I suspect not because Hideaki Anno’s a dick. But I do like how it’s remake anyway, and who knows, maybe we’ll get lucky this time and it’ll all make sense and Shinji will have his harem of women and get laid for once instead of masterbating to a comatose Asuka. Too much to ask for? Yeah I guess that would just make Shinji far too manly.

4. Blowfish says:

Ah Baccano!
    Good Choice my friend!
    I think you already guessed it but I am a big fan of the series ^^

And yeah that Cameo in DRRR came out of nowhere and made me squeal like a little girl during her first time.

Definitely figured that one out after hearing the name of the train.

<3 Issacuu~~ & Miria. They seemed so random in Drrr at first.

All of those are HIGH on my to watch list.

6. Quazacolt says:

Baccano! is amongst my favorite anime of all time and it is definitely a worthy purchase, grats 😉

had i got a better income and better currency exchange, no doubt that would be long be in my collection lol

I don’t know why it took so long for someone to tell me to watch it. But I’m glad they finally did.