Cancelled: Kotobukiya’s Elwing

Yet another cancellation to add to the list, this time Kotobukiya’s Elwing. The reasoning is pretty simple and not the fault of the figure as it’s quite pleasing to the eye.

I pre-ordered Elwing because of an illustration by Tony Taka. Kotobukiya did a great job adding the 3rd dimension to the illustration, perhaps a little too faded in colour but overall quite nice. Also in this illustration is Xecty, another character from the Shining Wind series and in a very similar pose to Elwing. And that was the problem.

I wanted the best possible recreation of the two together matching the illustration, but unfortunately Kotobukiya just got lazy. Xecty looks like Elwings clone, nearly identical pose, only hair colour differing. Setting the two side by side leaves much to be desired and really just looks like an alternate colouring of the same figure. Because of this I didn’t want to buy Xecty, and because I wanted to recreate the original illustration and couldn’t I cancelled Elwing.

Sad but not a huge loss for me, she’s not a figure I’m overly attached to, nor do I necessarily want another standing 1/6th scale figure. They’re far too large especially for a character I have no attachment to. On the plus side, I’ve saved myself ¥6,980 / $77 CAD.

Comments

1. Ami says:

Well, you can’t expect Koto to make Xecty upside down like she is in the artwork. I don’t even think that’s been done before. I agree that the poses are too similar but at least you can choose to get one instead of both. I would have liked it better if Koto had Xecty’s arms posed to the left so she could have worked with Elwing. I’m still getting both. I’m not sure how I’m going to display them. I’ll just figure something out. I might even display them separately. ^^;

There’s nothing that says she has to be upside-down. They could have laid both figures down like WIM Miku. Which is what I imagine they’re doing in the artwork anyway, lying down not standing. I realize that would take substantially more space though. But they’re far too similar otherwise.

• Random-ness says:

You can try posing them back to back and placing them on a rotating base. It might be a bit more costly but the impact will certainly be much more impressive. 8D

That’s not a bad idea at all. I don’t have the space in any of my cabinets to accept both these tall figures and a rotating base, but that would totally work otherwise. Great idea if I ever get them or something similar in the future!

Aye like you say Aka a WiM pose would have been nice.

Technically they could have made a more flat pose and crafted a base they could be layed on that could be split in two and packaged seperatly with each figure as well as including the original “flowy cloth” base for seperate displaying or if you don’t like them lying down.

It wouldn’t have costed much extra to do and would have made owning the two as a pair a great deal more attractive…As it stands I think a lot of people will only buy the one of the two they like, which means a lose for Koto…Not exactly a good business decision.

It should have been obvious that they weren’t thinking this way when the original pictures of Elwing were released. So I pre-ordered on a wish I think more than anything, and the wish wasn’t granted.

But definitely I would have bought both if they fit together well.

3. Leonia says:

This is a nice figure. I hesitated to pre-order her, but finally, not (no money for the moment). And finally I don’t regret. You can see pictures of Moeyo here : http://www.moeyo.com/2010/04/review_kotobukiya_shining_elwing_1.html

Sculpture is nice, yes, but I don’t like face, and especially eyes painting ^^ But it’s a good new for me xD

Seeing those pictures I sort of regret it a little, she looks like she’s cast-off. But the last time I thought a Kotobukiya product was cast-off, they glued her together.

But really I’m fine with having cancelled her. I’ll see everyone elses wonderful pictures later on.

4. Smithy says:

Indeed, can understand why you’d cancel on the grounds they’re so similar. By staying faithful to the pose in Tony’s art but making her fixed to the base like Elwing, Xecty just looks eerily similar.

Lying down or simply posing Xecty in reverse to Elwing would have worked better.

Lose Tony’s art… but 1/6, similar poses,… I’d bail out as well.

There are other Xecty figures out there to buy. But not many Elwings, though I do have Max Factory’s 1/7th scale.

I guess I’ll focus on buying an Elwing, perhaps Koto’s recent Battle Outfit Ver.

5. Rico-sama says:

I’m not cancelling my Elwing but I certainly see where you’re coming from. I can’t say a blame you.

I don’t need two of the same figure from Kotobukiya.

6. I don’t think you can really fault Kotobukiya as being lazy on this one. It matches pretty well with the artwork, though not as curved on these figures. If you look at the illustration, they look like twins as well, just different colour.

That said, I think I’m sticking with my Elwing figure as I don’t have any of her. I don’t think I’ll be picking up the Xecty though, like as you’ve said, she looks like a repaint. LOL

Plus, I have just received Xecty (army uniform version) from Kotobukiya and the EVE version on order. I think that’s enough Xecty for me…for now anyway!

“I wanted the best possible recreation of the two together matching the illustration”

I usually prefer my figures mimic the original (gorgeous) illustrations myself. UNLESS Alter is doing the figures. Alter does a great job picking out gorgeous original poses.

8. bluesurfer says:

I like the way you explained your view and rationalized your decision to cancel. With so much good stuff out there, it helps to be picky, so that the money you save can go to something you really like, which pleases you the most. Heard about your site from Eddy at DX by the way. My handle in DX is mmc. Where in Canada are you from?

I probably should be even more picky than I am. But it seems to be working for me so far.

Not too sure who Eddy or DX is, but cool!

I’m from Southern Ontario. You in Canada as well?

9. HunterKillerMX says:

I saw what you mean and I nearly cancelled my Elwing figure as well. Now it was arrived and after having it, I kept my Xecty figure on order.

Figure is not just pretty. This is a really god figure. Everyone should have one. That’s how good it is.

I haven’t been impressed with the pictures I’ve seen of her, so I’m pretty happy having cancelled her. It’s not that she looks bad though, just not my tastes really.