Yen Press finally gets it? Spice & Wolf Vol.2

After the first volume of Spice & Wolf was released by Yen Press, along with their ugly cover, and poor attempts at providing fans with slip covers with the original artwork, I pretty much ignored what Yen Press was doing with regards to volume 2. But recent discussions on the AnimeSuki Forums has brought to my attention Yen Press has finally decided to do what they should have done in the first place.

In a Twitter post on March 11th, Yen Press responded to a question by @minirop asking what Yen Press’ future plans were for the cover of Spice & Wolf Vol.2. Would they do the same thing as with Vol.1 or would they change it up this time around. Yen Press responded by stating “the plan currently is to jacket the second volume and print the original art on the cover.” I presume that means that the cover of the book will have the original artwork, and the jacket will be the artwork Yen Press feels is required to better sell their book.

If the reverse is true, it’s still a step in the right direction for Yen Press. While the previous book was also to receive the slip cover treatment, this only ended up being true from one distributor, RightStuf. If Yen Press ships all books with the slip cover I will be a much happier fan. Personally though, I tend not to like slip covers while reading, as they often move and I find it annoying. I would like to be able to remove the slip cover and display the original artwork rather than the opposite. Hopefully Yen Press follows through with this plan.

Spice & Wolf Volume 2 can be pre-ordered now from Amazon.com/ca or RightStuf and will be released June 15th.

Comments

I know we agree 100% on this issue as you have presented it! Here’s hoping they do things right from here on!

2. Miette-chan says:

Sigh…I still would prefer if they just did it like how it was for the Haruhi novels.

However if this is true I will probably pick it from Amazon, I wonder if RightStuf still has some of the volume 1 covers.

Couldn’t hurt to ask their cutomer service department. They are very helpful and prompt about answering questioons andconcerns

I too would prefer the Haruhi novel route… but I imagine there’s some added cost in there that Haruhi’s popularity could justify.

I’ve ordered through Amazon.ca again.

3. Blowfish says:

Oh awesome!
    I Ordered my Copy back then with Amazon and have to live with the ugly cover now.
    I am glad they finally understand that they are probably driving away their most potential customers with casualizing the Covers of the series.

I would have prefered if the original cover would stick to the normal one instead of the slipcover though.As you I find them annoying when reading.

Overall I found the printing quality of the novel rather cheap though.Never head a YenPress book before but they dont feel like they last too long

I too live with the ugly cover. I hope that the way I’ve interpreted it is correct. But some how I imagine it wont be. I’m very pessimistic when it comes to Yen Press.

I don’t own anything Yen Press aside from the Spice & Wolf Volume 1 novel. The quality of it seems about normal for a paperback to me.

• Blowfish says:

I am only familar with German Paperbacks and they feel alot sturdier than Yen Press`s paperback.Since youre saying that it feels normal for a paperback I guess that US paperbacks arent of as nice quality as our ones

Couldn’t say, maybe I’ve only handled a lot of cheap books. I just find paperbacks all tend to feel more or less the same. Quality books tend to be hardcover.

• Kai says:

I preorder the 1 volume of the Novel from Amazon(No dustcover) but when I got news of the dustcover I e-mail YenPress and they ask for my address and sent me the dust cover free. Great Company.

Generally they are not… these feel maybe 1.3x sturdier than a standard US paperback… of course, it could be that I have been very careful with it and thus made it seem nicer than it really is (probably the case).

I’m pre-ordered via Amazon for volume 2. Sigh…I wish Yen Press would rescue Kino’s Journey from Tokyopop, I want more to learn more about that series than just the anime.

I’ve never read or watched Kino’s Journey. Is it good? and what’s Tokyopop doing with it that you don’t approve of?

6. North American says:

Personally I liked the North American cover, but that is probably because I dislike anime, to me it is a cheap ugly “art”, unlike the artistic soft brushstrokes of the new cover. I wouldn’t be caught dead reading spice and wolf with the Japanese cover.
    But I actually like the story, It is the only Japanese story I own, or will probebly ever own.

7. That1Gai says:

I was real disappointed with the first cover they came out with, and when I realized that they didn’t post the original artwork, it was my birthday in Febuary, two months after December; the month when Yen Press came out with the magazine issue with the slip cover. After a desperate search for the one issue with the cover, and deciding it wasn’t worth essentially paying the same amount of money for the cover as well as the book itself, I made my own!

Thanks to google immages, I found the original artwork in English writing with good quality, had a printer store print it to size, and slapped it on some butcher paper. It didn’t look all that bad AND it covered up the disgraceful cover already on the book!

The moral of the story: We know that English dub is nowhere near as good as the Japanese orignal to anything, but it shouldn’t be so apparent where I need to cover it up because of how poorly it was done.

With Yen Press’s new solution to print the new images on slip covers and the original on the book itself, I don’t mind it at all, they can do whatever they want on the slip. I just feel it should have been this way from the start, it would have been a non-issue then and no one would ever have complained.

I pre-ordered mine through Amazon and received the first run, mine did not ship with the slip cover, so ordering when they came out would not have guarantied you one anyway.

8. Quazacolt says:

i personally prefer if they drop the PD 3D (lol) completely. while this is a step in the right direction, id still like the option to have both book cover and slip cover being the 2D ver.

oh well, i guess i can burn the PD slip cover, record it down in video, and make a blog post outta it. and see how yen press reacts.

I doubt they’ll make much notice. They may see it, but they wont mention it, it wouldn’t be very good business.

I agree though, I’d prefer if they stuck to the original, but I do understand their needs, so the compromise is acceptable.

9. […] Japanese edition, and seeing as this series has a large fan-base they might’ve ended up in a situation similar to the one with Yen Press and the Spice & Wolf novels. Hardcore fans don’t really […]