Recent Purchases, March 19th 2010 Edition

Finally, yes finally I say, finally I decided to purchase something that’s not figure related. Or well, at least not directly related, it takes only 2 hops to go from Anime Figures to Anime to Anime DVDs, as well as a single artbook, my first artbook really. Let’s take a look at what I got, shall we?

Index

The Classics

Princess Mononoke

Princess Mononoke might just be my most watched and favoured anime of all time. There isn’t another anime I can think of that I’ve watched as often as I have Princess Mononoke. I can’t count the number of times I’ve seen the movie over the past 10 years, but every time I have it’s been enjoyable. I don’t think the movie gets old for me at all, I enjoy it the same every time I see it. It’s a mystery though, even to me, as to why I’ve never purchased the anime until now. I’ve rented it, watched it at friends places, seen it on TV, downloaded it, but it took 10 years before I finally threw the money down, and just in time for a Bluray copy to be released I’m sure. Regardless, this is a classic anime, if not for everyone, at least for me.

Kiki’s Delivery Service

I hadn’t seen this anime until somewhat recently, say, in the past year or so. Sometimes I feel like I must not really be a fan of anime when there are all these ‘old’ classics out there that I haven’t seen. After finally watching the cute movie and enjoying it immensely I felt Kiki definitely deserved to be on my list of things to buy and there she sat for ages, but at least not as long as Princess Mononoke.

Howl’s Moving Castle

Howl’s Moving Castle I actually went to see an advanced screening at the then Paramount theatre in downtown Toronto with a friend who’d received the tickets for free because he’d worked at Anime North. Back then I had a Canon PowerShot A40 or maybe A75 that I carried with me everywhere, not really thinking I went to go in with it and they confiscated my camera for the duration of the movie. That bothered me as I wasn’t sure I’d get it back in good condition at the end. Additionally they asked that we not talk about the movie until a week later when it was publicly released June 10th, 2005. It felt like I was a member of the press at the time, it was kind of neat. Though I did think it odd since I’d long seen the movie already thanks to internet downloads and fansubbers. They gave each person who attended a nice little picture of Howl’s moving castle in a nice little folder (small scan). It measures around 38 x 25 cm (15 x 10 inches).

Spirited Away

I believe I’ve only seen this movie once, but I enjoyed it when I saw it as I have all Miyazaki films. I threw this one into the cart because well, I was buying a few Miyazaki films, why not another? Thinking back, I remember how I first watched this movie on DVD at home. I went to the local video rental store (jeez, that feels so long ago, do those even still exist?) and asked for “Spirted Away” and the cashier thought for a moment, look around and said, “do you mean Spirit?” a movie about a horse that was released around the same time. I gave them a blank stare for a moment then turned around to find the movie myself.

Future Classics

The Place Promised in Our Early Days

It feels odd putting this movie in future classics when it’s older than Howl’s Moving Castle above. But I feel it fits here better since Makoto Shinkai is ‘new’ to the scene where Miyazaki’s been around ‘forever’. So a Miyazaki film is a near instant classic where Makoto Shinkai perhaps needs some time to build. At any rate, I was originally trying to find 5 Centimeters Per Second and couldn’t but was reminded of this lovely movie and purchased it in it’s place. Makoto Shinkai always manages to have some of the most detailed and surreal backgrounds in his films. They’re full of beautiful colours and some how transform otherwise mundane scene like riding a train into an amazing visual experience. It’s almost as if you’re watching an entire movie through ‘memory goggles’ where everything was always better in the past. Despite this detailed scenery though, I often feel his characters need to have more detail to match their scenery, they sometimes feel out of place and bland compared to the gorgeous backdrops behind them.

The Girl Who Leapt Through Time

The Girl Who Leapt Through Time was released back in july of 2006 in Japan and premiered in Canada at the Waterloo Festival for Animated Cinema the same year in November. If only I’d known about this festival back then as I do now, I would have liked to have seen this in theatres. Mamoru Hosoda directed the film, and looking at this past works one might wonder why you’d want to see this movie at all. His past works include 3 Digimon movies, Dragon Ball Movie #4, Dragon Ball Z, One Piece, Slam Dunk Movies 2-4, not a list of series I’d consider even bothering with. However when I watched this movie I had no idea and watched it for what it was. Trying to connect it and those past movies in my head is impossible, it doesn’t compute. Surely this Mamoru Hosoda must be a different Mamoru Hosoda from the past. In addition to this film about a time travelling girl, he’s done a more recent movie Summer Wars which many of you have seen and enjoyed (myself included).

Artbook

My first artbook! Unless The Robot series of books by Range Murata count as artbooks, I’m not sure but I have 3 of those. But lets just say this is my first artbook, and fittingly it’s of Horo and the series from which she comes. Not really sure what to expect with an artbook I dived into this one thanks to Rajura off the AnimeSuki forums. He and I have been messaging back and forth about various things, and some how he convinced me that I had to purchase this artbook, and provided me with an eBay link to do so. As it would turn out, Rajura was right, I did have to purchase this artbook, I find it neat having Horo artwork in my hands that I didn’t print off myself. I think my only complaint is… I can’t read a damn word in this book aside from ホロ lol. The pictures are wonderful, but I have no idea what’s being said around any of them, it’s frustrating but I didn’t really buy the book for that reason anyway.

There was a point not long ago where I said to someone, “I’m not buying a book I can’t read for $30”. I eat my words right now, I bought a book I can’t read for $30. Now to set aside some time to work my way through all of those DVDs and ‘read’ this artbook of mine.

Thank god Horo’s not preggers in any of the pictures…

Comments

1. mikiwank says:

You maked nice DVD purchase. Miyazaki movies must be in your collection ! My favs Miyazaki movies are :
    1* Mononoke hime
    2* spirited away
    3* Howl’s Moving Castle

2. Miette-chan says:

So many movies and I wish all of those ended up getting released in blu ray.

I wonder if 5cm per second is still available hadn’t seen it since ADV went under a while back.

This might explain some of why 5 Centimeters Per Second is hard to find.

While I wish they all get Bluray releases, I hope not too soon, I just bought them on DVD afterall! lol

Sorry for helping you break the bank…

To show you how sorry I am, I’m still trying to find a cheap or moderately-priced copy of the S&W Okami to Kin no Mugiho!

lol no probs! It’s a nice artbook, worth the money.

If only I could read Japanese, then I might be able to not only spend even more money on Horo, but read it too.

4. Steve says:

Princess Mononoke is possibly my favourite movie of any kind, let alone just anime. I hope it doesn’t take too long for the Studio Ghibli catalogue to come out on BD once they start with Nausicaa!

5. RakkaKaze says:

I’d have to say TokiKake was a good buy, I have that on my wall with my figures when I’m not watching it. Very much so my own favorite animation.

Heh I just put my DVDs on a shelf with the rest. Interesting that The Girl Who Leapt Through Time is your favourite.

Go go Ghibli eh…I’d take spirited away as my favorite from that lot…Just a wonderful piece of art

Shame you couldn’t get 5 centimeters though being his best work yet to me…I did enjoy Early days, but I’d have to say its at the bottom of his productions for me.

I feel like I need to rewatch Leap though…I remember I liked it a great deal, but my recollection is pretty fuzzy. >_>

Can’t wrong with Ghibli. Picking any Ghibli film as your favourite makes total sense.

I liked Early Days, but yeah I wish I’d gotten 5 Centimeters.

I should rewatch them all, I’m feeling hazzy on ’em all too. But I’m watching the 12 hours of Sebring right now. Car racing.

7. Tier says:

You know, I’ve never seen any of the Studio Ghibli films. I did have a Powershot A40 though. Even though it’s a pretty awful camera, I’ve still got it and I’m really tempted to do a figure photo shoot with it just to see how it would turn out.

How peculiar it is that the first thing I notice in the artbook pictures is that Horo doesn’t mind the fuzziness in the back but eschews it in the front.

It’s an awful camera now, but I didn’t find it bad at the time. It did it’s job and I got some great pictures with it. It even had manual controls, that many cameras now seem to lack easy access to.

How can you not have seen any Ghibli films? it’s like not seeing Disney movies, or better, not seeing Pixar movies.

I’m not sure I get what you mean about Horo and the fuzziness. All that comes to mind is that she’s shaved…

• Tier says:

You understand me correctly, sir! Also, I’ve never seen a Pixar movie, either. They’re the company that makes 3D animation films, right?

• Blowfish says:

I dont think she shaves its just that 92% of the female Anime Population simply doesnt grow pubes.
        Its one of those eternal mysteries…

Was more just a simple way to say it than indicating she actually shaved. I can’t imagine anyone shaving much back then. I’m sure people did but thank god we have modern technology for razors and shaving cream…

Why Blow? Why did you have to put the thought about that issue and Hol(r)o into my head… has never even come up before!

I need some chlorhexdine and bleach to sanitize my brain now!

8. Blowfish says:

Ahahaha I know that Situation too well.
    There was a time where I said I wont spend money on Stuff I cant read.Then came Artbooks and other stuff and now I am buying books with more text than illustrations XD

How many Pages does the book have?

176 pages or there abouts.

Also, last night while watching Baccano!! I suddenly understood the name of your website. Hit me like a tonne of bricks with it’s obviousness.

9. Fabrice says:

Hey me too i got the artbook =)
    its so beautiful the illustration etc.

and nice collection of dvd’s!

Can you read the artbook? heh I wish I could. The illustrations are great though. I do however wish that the quality of the print was higher, more of the pages printed with the same quality as the cover.

• Quazacolt says:

well i could *BARELY* read it lol. and by barely, its also from my chinese background enabling me to “understand” kanji (and by understand, i mean guess rofl) and along that, pairing with some matching of the kata/hira chart.

takes forever just to read through a paragraph >.>
        eventually gave up as i lacked the time, though if i still find the time for it, id give it more goes. or maybe after i take up japanese classes rofl

still, what does it matter? its horo and it has great horo pictures LOL

Wonderful choices on the movies! Of all those movies I believe Spirited Away was my favorite. Also grats on the art book!

I think I’m going to have to give Spirited Away a second chance, seems many people enjoy that movie. I’m wondering if age has something to do with it, maybe I was a similar age when I saw Princess Mononoke as others when they saw Spirited Away. Hmm!

11. […] my little foray into artbooks with the Spice & Wolf artbook, my wallet’s been itching for a few more. Along comes an excuse named Horo and my wallet […]

12. Quazacolt says:

got this too quite a long while ago:

i am actually surprised that you managed to find it o_O
    AFAIK it sold off within the first few weeks/month >_<

was lucky to get a copy for myself at the local kinokuniya bookstore

Managed to find it thanks to a friend I made off the Animesuki forums. He’s been pointing me in the direction of all kinds of merch. If only I had the cash to buy everything he points me to.

• Quazacolt says:

with ur stronger canadian dollar currency and assumingly higher income, that shouldn’t be a problem. what is though, is you missing the “dates”. as once you pass the release dates or preorder dates (take figures, for instance) your only chance is to go through price hikes such as auctions sites, where [insert insult here] just buys an item for the sake of auctioning it.