Last week I finally decided that it was time for more space as my desk was getting awfully crowded. My first cabinet had long filled up and I’d amassed a total of 19 figures taking up it’s valuable real estate. It was time for more space, much more space.
I bought an IKEA Billy Bookcase corner system which consists of 2 single width Billy Bookcase’s and a double width, all with glass doors and shelves, except the corner piece. Hopefully with this I can last a while longer before my desk repopulates itself and I’m forced to find new options for figure storage, as I rapidly run out of space in this room of mine. Unfortunately I forgot to take before shots, but I guess it doesn’t really matter anyway.
I decided to go a different route than my original setup where I used halogen lights to light up the cabinet. This worked great for light but there was a small oversight on my part, heat. Obviously halogen lights get enormously hot, and I really would rather not melt all my figures so I rarely turned these lights on. Having been able to live half a year without turning the lights on, I decided I probably didn’t need to light the cabinets up for viewing, I have a ceiling light after all. So I opted for some fun lighting I can leave on all the time for a nice effect, IKEA Dioders. They let you select I believe 7 different colours, or have it rotate through automatically and with smooth transitions, that’s the setting I used. They’re not cheap though at a goatse-like ass tearing cost of $80/set CAD x3 they made up a very sizable portion of the overall cost. IKEA prices in Canada aren’t very comparable to those in the US, the same lights in the US cost $50 USD which works out to $52 CAD, a $28 difference and over half the US price. Bit of a ripoff, yet I bought them anyway…
Some of you keen observers probably would have questioned this next point so I’ll just say it first. Yes that’s a door behind my desk, and yes there’s a light on. I forgot to turn the light off when taking the picture and it annoys me to no end. That door does indeed go somewhere useful, however there’s an alternate door into that room from the hallway so it’s an unneeded door that also was wasting space. No longer does it waste space, just appears odd. I’ll probably put a poster over it in the future to hide it more.
Some useless stats:
- 103 separate pieces of wood/fake wood
- 12 unused
- 12 additional glass shelves to replace original wooden shelves
- 324 Screws and fasteners
- 54 unused
- 12 pieces of double-sided tape
- 10 unused
- 12 lights w/ 3 controllers and power units
- 4 glass doors
- Total of 470 pieces
- 52 squirts of Windex
- 10 drilled holes
- 2.9 m² of shelving space (31.22 sq-ft)
- Combined weight 174.6 kg (385 lbs)
- Unused weight 16.8 kg (37 lbs)
- 2 screw ups (1, 2)