Last week Zeva, one of my cats, started acting a bit strange and throwing up rather often. At first, I thought it was a hairball or something, but I still checked to see if she was ok and she seemed to be. Maybe a day later she started throwing up more often, along with blood. Obviously something was up, and so she was taken to the vet immediately.
The vet took a look at her and couldn’t feel anything abnormal about here, but she was dehydrated and so they injected her with some fluids to rehydrate her. They decided to x-ray her to see if there was anything that they could see inside, and sure enough there was an obvious solid object within her. Surgery would be required to remove the large object from her. This of course meant that Zeva would have to be put under for the duration of the surgery, which from what I’m told is a rather dangerous event in and of itself. Cats don’t like anesthesia, especially the breed that Zeva is, an F5 Savannah. But surgery had to be done regardless so under she went.
It turns out the dumb poor girl decided that that shiny dime she saw glittering in the reflection of the sun, had to be eaten. That’s the solid object you see off to the left in the x-ray above, a single Canadian dime (worth $0.092 USD). Part of this I can understand though, she loves shiny objects and I suppose over time she was bound to eat something. I’m just not sure why it was a dime, surely she’d have noticed that she can’t bite through it right? I guess not…
The vet gave us back our dime from within Zeva, it’s the brown looking one, not the ‘new’ shiny one on the left. Think the dime that was in her stomach is worth any more than a normal dime? It certainly cost more to get back…
While they were in there removing the dime they also checked through all of her intestines to see if there were any other potential problems. From the description given to me about this process, it sounded as though they took out her intestines and squeezed through them, then put them all back in. Not only does that sound incredibly gross and something I’d never ever want to see or do in my life. It seemed like something very foreign to me, the idea of being able to just pull them out, check’em an shove ’em back in. One would think that intestines would like to be placed in a certain way so as to work nicely, but I suppose the vet knows what they’re doing and maybe I’m over imagining the process in the first place. Hopefully I am, as it seems an over the top process.
Now that a few days have passed Zeva’s is back to her old, somewhat annoying, self again, minus some fur of course. She’s back to getting on top of things, knocking things over, running away from the other cat, and whining for food. Good to have you back Zeva, glad you’re ok